Sign in to follow this  
Basil

Blast From the Past

Hey everyone,

Through boredom, I saw that the FringeFX.net domain was expiring, so I went ahead and registered it just for fun.  I don't have any plans for the site or anything, but thought it'd be cool to put a community up and see if old members register to reminisce.  

If anybody does have ideas or thinks a full re-launch will be worth it, let me know.  Otherwise, I'll just keep this up for time being. 

2 hours ago, Basil said:

Hey Vin, long time no see bud.  

Funny that I happened to just visit the old domain today to see what became of it. Time to rally the squad back together?

3 minutes ago, Vin said:

Funny that I happened to just visit the old domain today to see what became of it. Time to rally the squad back together?

That's exactly what I did a couple of weeks ago.  I noticed that nothing came up so I did a search, saw it was expiring, and made sure to snag it once it dropped.  And I'm 100% down for that!  😂

53 minutes ago, Clarke said:

Woah.. never thought that Fringe would be back up lol

Honestly.. same haha.  

Just now, Mr.Boxxy said:

👀

spacer.png

Btw, do you have an archive of the old forum?

Mr. Boxxy!!  Good to see you again.  

Unfortunately, I don't think so.  Even if I did, since I technically sold the site back in 2012, I don't think it would be right to use an old backup unless I got permission from the buyer (who I haven't been able to get in contact with since ~2014.) 

Yeah, long time no see haha!

Do you think there's actually still a gfx community out there? I haven't frequented a forum in a long time and some I know have signatures disabled, so there's not really any tagging being done there. I know it's doing kinda okay on deviantart but I dunno about the rest. I think most of them died out with lack of traffic

3 minutes ago, Mr.Boxxy said:

Yeah, long time no see haha!

Do you think there's actually still a gfx community out there? I haven't frequented a forum in a long time and some I know have signatures disabled, so there's not really any tagging being done there. I know it's doing kinda okay on deviantart but I dunno about the rest. I think most of them died out with lack of traffic

I don't think there are any active ones besides the GFX subreddit. The last one I knew of was TagFreak, but that closed a couple of years ago.  

I would consider r/gfx pretty much dead haha

Still, don't want to ruin the party, but a successful full re-launch seems very hard to achieve. Most old members have long gotten to other things and getting new ones might just be too hard.

Hello all! Glad to see fringe pop up briefly. I'm araxnisanu or visceral currently. Used to run beeskneesfx and mydamnsig. 

I've been thinking about bringing back a community in the near future. Lots of people still out here looking for an honest home. Most are over at pimped pixels. 

It just needs to be something new and refreshing. I'm all up for helping if anyone wants to solidify a plan to bring back fringe or start something fresh. It was such a strong community that really solidified a lot of us hobbyists and enthusiasts. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WALKER said:

Hello all! Glad to see fringe pop up briefly. I'm araxnisanu or visceral currently. Used to run beeskneesfx and mydamnsig. 

I've been thinking about bringing back a community in the near future. Lots of people still out here looking for an honest home. Most are over at pimped pixels. 

It just needs to be something new and refreshing. I'm all up for helping if anyone wants to solidify a plan to bring back fringe or start something fresh. It was such a strong community that really solidified a lot of us hobbyists and enthusiasts. 

BRING BACK FFX!!!!!

• Like 1

Wow this is a blast from the past. This is where I first learned about GFX.

• Like 1

Heyyy, I don't know if any remembers me. Fabian here. 😅

I remembered Basil somehow. Nice to see this page up again. 

28 minutes ago, Fabian said:

Heyyy, I don't know if any remembers me. Fabian here. 😅

I remembered Basil somehow. Nice to see this page up again. 

Fabian, what's up man!?   Good that you remember me because I could've sworn you weren't around when I first became admin back in the day.  Although I did think you made a return a little bit later on and got back on staff? 

4 hours ago, Mr.Boxxy said:

I would consider r/gfx pretty much dead haha

Still, don't want to ruin the party, but a successful full re-launch seems very hard to achieve. Most old members have long gotten to other things and getting new ones might just be too hard.

I completely agree with you there.  I don't think I could see myself re-launching the site focusing solely on GFX - it would definitely be artist-centered.  But again, there are no guarantees.  I'm just happy that some old members decided to register already!  

3 hours ago, WALKER said:

Good to see you again.  I've never heard of Pimped Pixels - when did that start?  

I agree with you as well.  Forums, in general, are a dying breed with Reddit and social media, so it would have to be a completely innovative project for it to be successful. 

7 hours ago, Basil said:

I don't think there are any active ones besides the GFX subreddit. The last one I knew of was TagFreak, but that closed a couple of years ago.  

Pimped Pixels is still alive, although just barely.

Pimped Pixels

Edited by Prodigy

4 hours ago, Basil said:

Good to see you again.  I've never heard of Pimped Pixels - when did that start?  

I agree with you as well.  Forums, in general, are a dying breed with Reddit and social media, so it would have to be a completely innovative project for it to be successful. 

Honestly. It can be done. And I think it truly should be done. A lot of old heads here who have been in the scene quite some time. I think the gfx community downfall was being too similar. Everyone was the same. EXCEPT fringe. It was truly a community. 

Just spitballing here. But I feel if we brought back the community, it'd need to be for the community. No more BS SOTW. No more "classes" or rating. No more staff titles besides mods and admins. Just pure good ol cnc and growth. People post up art and just get a simple "looks cool. Oh that's dope". Rather than true community building. 

How we bring this back and attract a new crowd without it being teeny bopper res leechers....no clue lol. 

But I'm in it to win it if anyone else wants to think this through and bring back a hitter. Plenty of ild staffers and owners here lurking and posting. Even some damn good artists and coders. We're all older now. If it's something we feel we could pull off, and that the community would benefit from; FUCK IT 🤷‍♂️

Edited by WALKER

If we're talking about re-launching fringefx, I don't think something artist-oriented would work. AFAIK, gfx'ers and artists are 2 different types of people for the most part. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this was tried on fringefx too and it just didn't work. This site was centered around tagging and constructive criticism of people's work. I remember some artists getting on the site but not staying for long as they would only post their work without really engaging with the community. In the end though, I just think their expectations for the site were different.

And I don't really agree with you Walker on that part about competitions and classes. To be honest, this is what drives the community, its activity. Sure, you could have a tightly knit community of people who know each other but you'd miss what I think is a good thing : the insensitive to be among the best. Seeing someone's work being highly regarded just makes you want to improve yourself. Also, competitions drive people to actually make something on a weekly/monthly basis and, in the case of fringefx, many would post their elsewhere looking for CnC - adding activity to the site. With that, community titles and perks are a good thing too : some people just want to have an active role in their community, to be recognized for something and be somewhat rewarded for it. Even only a different username color can make people do things to have it and it helps increase activity.

Sure, there are people who could do without any of those things and still be really active. Personally though, I think the more reasonable and good insensitive there is to be active, the better it is.

If I'm being optimistic, it would be nice to create something that would bring back tagging and that could co-exist with all the other art communities out there.